Crouse-Irving Hospital, destined to merge with Syracuse Memorial, was founded by a group of physicians and investors under the leadership of Dr. William L. Wallace in 1912. In 1913 Crouse-Irving Hospital School of Nursing was founded. For many years, Syracuse Memorial Hospital and Crouse-Irving Hospital operated separately while being located across the street from each other. The two hospitals merged in 1968 into Crouse Irving Memorial Hospital. Crouse-Irving’s School of Nursing became the Crouse Irving Memorial Hospital School of Nursing at that time. Following the merger, plans were begun to expand and modernize the existing facilities. As part of the S.H.A.R.E. campaign to modernize healthcare facilities in Onondaga County, funds were raised to replace the deteriorating Crouse-Irving Hospital Building. In 1976, the Irving Unit (attached to the Memorial Unit, the former Syracuse memorial Hospital) was opened while the former Crouse-Irving Hospital was converted to an educational building for the hospital the School of Nursing, then demolished in 1991 when the present Harry and Lillian Marley Education Center opened. In June 1996, a new name was announced, changing Crouse Irving Memorial Hospital to Crouse Hospital. In 2015 the Crouse Hospital School of Nursing was renamed the Billl and Sandra Pomeroy College of Nursing at Crouse Hospital.
Scope of Collection
This collection includes selected yearbooks from Crouse Hospital's School of Nursing, as well as its predecessor institutions at Syracuse Memorial Hospital and Crouse-Irving Hospital.