Browse collection by subject:
The School of Nursing opened December 1, 1889 as the Rochester Homeopathic Hospital Training School. The first graduating class consisted of three students. The school was a leader in the effort to establish professional criteria for the training and registering of nurses. This effort culminated in the New York State Nurse Practice Act of 1903. Miss Ida Jane Anderson, a member of the class of 1902, holds the distinction of being the first registered nurse in New York State. The last class was graduated in June 1978. Many of the 2,063 graduates of the school went on to distinguished careers in nursing and nursing education, and today carry on the school's traditions as members of the Genesee Hospital Alumni Association.