Our Lady of Lourdes Collection
Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church was founded in April 1919, in Utica, New York. The church was established because of the growing Catholic population in south Utica and was originally located on the corner of Genesee Street and Barton Avenue. In 1940, because of its popularity and growing congregation, the church was enlarged and enhanced with an addition and stone exterior. In 1968, the church moved to its new and permanent home on the opposite corner of Genesee Street and Barton Avenue. In 1976, a grotto was added to the church.
Several of the church’s pastors made significant contributions to the Our Lady of Lourdes community through their leadership, examples of devotion, and contributions to the church and the larger community. The list includes Reverend James F. Collins, Reverend Monsignor Daniel E. Lawler, and Reverend Monsignor Joseph L. May.
Scope of Collection
The Our Lady of Lourdes Collection contains numerous color and black and white photographs documenting holiday ceremonies, members of the church community, the church’s exterior and interior under renovation, and the church’s various locations. It also contains documentation of the different clergymen who served the church, as well as photographs dating back to the earliest days of Our Lady of Lourdes, of church outings and trips such as one to the Gettysburg Battlefield. In addition, are newspaper articles related to the church and clergy, including stories about a robbery at the church, and refugees in the Utica area. Tied to the church’s mission to help resettle refugees in Utica, NY, are brochures about recently arrived Swahili refugees. Also included are commemorative documents and event programs, church sheet music, earlier published church histories and chronologies, and items related to Notre Dame high school in Utica, NY.