The Village of Great Neck is one of nine villages that (together with several unincorporated areas) make up Great Neck - part of the Town of North Hempstead and of Nassau County. Among Great Neck’s earliest settlements - some say the first “of any real importance and Presence” here - it is still called by many “the old village.” Like the rest of Great Neck, the Village was almost exclusively farm and orchard from its settlement in the 1660's into the 19th century. In that century, it became a small center of commerce for all of Great Neck, either selling to farmers, or servicing farmer’s needs. From 1870 to 1880, large estates were assembled. The Village experienced several real estate booms, especially after direct rail service to NYC was provided in the early parts of the century. From 1922 to 1960, the Village’s population quadrupled, and the area experienced great real estate development.