Fort Ontario in Oswego was originally built by the English during the French and Indian War; it served as various military posts for over a century. During World War II, Fort Ontario became known as the Fort Ontario Emergency Refugee Shelter, also known as "Safe Haven," a home to almost 1,000 Jewish refugees escaping persecution from Nazism in war-torn Europe. It was the only government-funded shelter for Jewish refugees in the United States. The shelter was established by a directive from President Franklin D. Roosevelt. After the war, there were concerns about allowing the refugees citizenship. They were ultimately granted citizenship and allowed to leave the camp in 1946.