Claverack College & Hudson River Institute
Claverack College / Hudson River Institute was a coeducational boarding school located in Claverack, New York. It was founded in 1779 by Reverend John Gabriel Gebhard. The school went through several name changes over the years. Originally known as Washington Seminary, it was renamed Claverack Academy in 1830. In 1854 the institution become Claverack College (a military-style academy for boys) and Hudson River Institute (a school for girls).
At the time Claverack College and Hudson River Institute were opened 1854, the school contained many features for students. In addition to dorms for students and teachers, the college included lecture halls, music rooms, reading rooms, a library, chapel, armory, drill-house and gymnasium.
The school closed in 1902. Over the years, it had many prominent alumni including Stephan Crane, author of The Red Badge of Courage, as well as 8th U.S. President Martin Van Buren.
Scope of Collection
This collection contains postcards and photographs related to Claverack College and Hudson River Institute. This includes images of the campus, as well as several class portraits. The collection also contains photographs of Claverack College sports teams from the mid-nineteenth century.