University of Rochester Medical Center - Edward G. Miner Library
Rochester, New York 14642
Head, Rare Books and Manuscripts - 585-275-2979 - Miner_Information@urmc.rochester.edu
The founding dean of the School of Medicine and Dentistry, George Hoyt Whipple, recognized the central role of the Library in the teaching, scholarship, and patient care that went on within its walls. When the Library was established in 1925, it was placed in the physical heart of the Medical Center, designating it as the intellectual hub of the institution It remains there today, embracing the latest technologies and teaching models, while maintaining time-honored traditions of scholarly pursuit.
The Library has a long history of generous support from donors, especially the Miner and Lamont families In 1927 Edward G. Miner, a trustee of the University and chair of the University Library Committee, donated the cholera and yellow fever portions of his valuable rare book collection to the Library. Mr. Miner continued to add to this collection until his death in 1955.
In 1967 Mr. Miner’s son-in-law, Thomas S. Lamont, made a substantial bequest to support the history of medicine collections.
The digitization of the Yellow Fever Collection is made possible through a generous gift from Ranlet and Beth Miner.
University of Rochester Medical Center - Edward G. Miner Library is a member of the Rochester Regional Library Council.