McGraw Historical Society
P.O. Box 537
McGraw, New York 13101
Mary Kimberly - email@example.com
Established at 5 Main Street, McGraw, New York in 1976, the McGraw Historical Society collection comprises memorabila, furniture, photographs, news articles, scrapbooks, photograph albums, post cards, books, and various items of interest dealing with the Village and its residents, both early and current. Mrs. Lucille Kullman and Mrs. Gloria Ackroyd were active members of the committee that started the local museum for the 1976 Bicentennial celebration; the new Local History room is located at the rear of the Lamont Memorial Free Library. Many items of the original collection were gifts and records that had been given to or collected by the Lamont Library. Our photo collection numbers close to 2,000 and many of these can be viewed in the Village of McGraw, NY History collection. Two very special sections of the McGraw Historical Society are the "New York Central College" and the "Daniel S. Lamont" collections.
McGraw Historical Society is a member of the South Central Regional Library Council.
Personal friend and secretary to NYS Governor Grover Cleveland. After Cleveland was elected President of the United States, Lamont was appointed his Secretary of War and close confidant.
One of the nation's first institutes of higher education to accept students with no consideration to race or gender was open from 1849 to 1860.
Items of interest relating to the history of the Village.