LaFayette Public Library
PO Box 379
LaFayette, New York 13084
The idea for a public library in LaFayette was first suggested and encouraged by Mrs. Frances Williams, the wife of Dr. C.S. Williams. A meeting of interested residents of the town was held in May, 1936 at which five trustees were chosen. These trustees were Frances Williams, Ruby Dodge, Anna Long, Iva Locke and Julia Mason. In December of that year Mrs. Mason resigned to serve as librarian and she was succeeded by Ruby McVoy as trustee.
Books were donated by many persons and the library was opened in the Crowe Building at a brief program on the evening of June 23, 1936. In December the Town Board agreed to fund the new library in the amount of $400.00 per year. Ten years later, in 1946, the annual funding was raised to $450.00 per year. Town support has been increased over the years including funds from other sources.
From 1945 to 1959 the library was housed in the Rozelle Building but it was returned to the Crowe Building, by then owned by the Long brothers, where it was located until 1962. Through the next four years space was found in the former Barrett house on the site of the present Maher Building.
In October 1964 a new property was purchased from the estate of Miss Caroline Farrington. It was paid for by a Building Fundraiser over the years through countless sales and projects undertaken by the trustees and interested patrons. One year later construction was begun on the new building which included the front portion of the former residence. Work was completed by the summer of 1966.
On July 21, 1968 the LaFayette Public Library was formally awarded its absolute charter by the Regents of the University of the State of New York.
The LaFayette Public Library moved to its present location in 1996.
LaFayette Public Library is a member of the Central New York Library Resources Council.