Hicksville Public Library
Hicksville, New York 11801
Dan Russ - firstname.lastname@example.org
Hicksville did not have a public library until 1926. By that year, the need for one was strong, and a public meeting, initiated by Arthur Crossley and other civic-minded citizens, was held at the high school to establish a library and elect a Board of Trustees. The Hicksville Free Public Library was granted its provisional charter by the State of New York on December 31, 1926, and on March 16, 1927, the charter was received and accepted by the Board of Trustees. At that time, the sum of $1,219.97 was presented to the library by the Hicksville Musical Club (later the Choral Society) for the purchase of new books and equipment. The official opening of the library, then housed in a second floor classroom of the Nicholai Street School, was held on February 26, 1928.
From that date until 1942, the library remained in that location. open to the public 30 hours a week for the purpose of loaning books and providing reference material. The book collection and the number of borrowers had grown so much over the years that larger facilities became a necessity. The Board of Education then granted the library the use of two classrooms on the first floor of the Nicholai Street School. After complete renovation, allowing for an adult reading room and a separate children's room which also served as the school library, the library opened for service in its new quarters on September 15, 1942. Hicksville residents approved the purchase of the property at 169 Jerusalem Avenue for conversion into the new Hicksville Free Public Library.
The adult department of the library opened at its new location on September 11, 1950. The children's room, converted from a four-car garage on the new library property, did not open until February, 1951. On March 14, 1951, the library held an "Open House" which served as the official opening of the new and present library. From 1953-1990, Kenneth S. Barnes served as library director, and under his leadership, the library became a center for cultural activities. In 1955, the sum of $252,000 was voted by the taxpayers for a new wing to be added, and the new wing was dedicated in January, 1958. Three more library expansions took place, in 1965, 1977, and once again in 1985. Today, the library provides comfortable spaces for reading, has an automated circulation system, public access computers, as well as computers with Internet access, and the building is accessible to the handicapped.
Hicksville Public Library is a member of the Long Island Library Resources Council.