Baldwinsville Public Library
Baldwinsville, NY 13027
Bonnie Kisselstein - 315.635.5631 - email@example.com
In the fall of 1946, the Baldwinsville Travelers Club formed a library committee to investigate establishing a library in the village. The library opened its doors for the first time on January 6, 1948, in two rooms of the old trolley station that served as the Lysander Town Building. As the Baldwinsville community grew so did the need for a larger facility. In 1956 the library moved to a renovated house. In 1974 the library was rechartered as a school district public library. The library then moved into an old Woolworth’s store in 1975. On October 29, 1994 the community gathered at the library with shovels in hand. Commemorative bookmarks and ribbons were tied to the shovels. “Shovels on Parade” proceeded to the site of a new building for the library. Following a few words of greeting, those gathered used their shovels to turn over the dirt. One year to the day, on October 29, 1995, over 2,500 people participated in the Grand Opening of the new library.
In addition to providing informational and recreational materials in a variety of formats the library has an art gallery and a local history room. The art gallery features local professional and amateur artists. The local history collection contains historical and genealogical information about Baldwinsville, Clay, Lysander, and Van Buren. It is continually being enhanced by donations of materials unique to the Baldwinsville Community.
The library board and staff continually assess library services in order to provide community residents with activities which support their pursuit of personal, educational, and professional interests, as well as cultural, recreational, and leisure activities.
Baldwinsville Public Library is a member of the Central New York Library Resources Council.
This collection contains yearbooks, clippings, and printed materials from schools in Baldwinsville, NY.
The Christopher Collection includes images representing a historical snapshot of the people and places around the towns of Van Buren and Lysander, and the Village of Baldwinsville, New York, collected by Anthony J. Christopher Sr., a Baldwinsville, native.
This collection contains two anniversary editions of the Gazette and Farmers' Journal, a newspaper published in Baldwinsville, NY beginning in 1846.
The New York Ordnance Works Collection consists of photographs, maps, and official documents related to the New York Ordnance Works (NYOW), which was in active production during World War II.