Methodist Episcopal and Methodist Protestant Church Records of Hempstead, Jamaica, Rockaway and Rockville Centre (1826-1896)
In 1784 Philip Cox , a Methodist Circuit rider, roamed Long Island conducting family prayers and other religious services for those requesting it. Before Cox died in 1794, he was pivotal in establishing a Methodist class in Bloomfield, now Lynbrook. This led to the construction of the Old Sand Hole Church and the development of the Methodist community of Lynbrook and Rockville Centre.
Decades later in 1826, when this record set began, several other ministers were stationed in Hempstead, Jamaica and Rockaway circuits at different times until 1854. A circuit was a specific area in which a minister would travel within. Ministers found in these books include Henry Hatfield, John J. Matthias, Humphrey Humpreys, Edmund O. Bates, Daniel De Vinne, Noble W. Thomas, Bradley Sillick, Laban Clark, Richard Seaman, Noah Bigelow, Jesse Hunt, Joseph Law, David Holmes, J. Youngs, John W B Wood, Samuel Merwin, Charles Stearns, Henry C.Glover, William Gothard, Samuel W. King, Albert Booth, James W. Horne, Henry D. Latham, and James D. Bouton. These men also traveled around like Cox did, marrying and baptizing those who were also of the Methodist Episcopal denomination.
Scope of Collection
The first two books in this collection contain the records for the Hempstead, Rockaway and Jamaica Circuits of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Inside these books you will find baptisms and marriages that range from 1826 to 1854 of families as well as financial records of the circuits that range from 1837-1861.
The second two books in this collection contain records of the First Methodist Protestant Church of Rockville Centre, NY which date from 1871 to 1869. The church was organized by the Reverend R. S. Hulsart on March 5, 1871. Inside these books you will find records of the church which include baptisms and marriages, deaths and membership.
These books were published by the Historical Society of East Rockaway & Lynbrook. They were prepared and scanned in 2012 by Hudson Microimaging, Port Ewan NY 12466. They were sourced from the Vineyard Church, Lynbrook Campus, 180 Denton Avenue, Lynbrook, New York. The records cover Queens County, New York/Town of Hempstead, New York. The records are in the public domain and the digital rights are held by the Historical Society of East Rockaway & Lynbrook.