Founded in 1938 as a Blue Point P.T.A. project, the Blue Point Public Library began with a collection of donated books. Tradition has it that these books were gathered by wheelbarrow from the home of local residents (hence our logo). The library's first home was a small room in the Blue Point School. Later sites included part of the building now occupied by the Blue Point Liquor Store, a small house on the corner of Madison Street, now replaced by the dentist's office, and the Bennett House on Blue Point Avenue.
In 1957, a new building was constructed directly behind Bennett house, which was subsequently torn down. (Oddly enough, there was a hot debate as to whether the new building should face Blue Point Avenue or Madison Street. Now, 33 years later, we have entrances on both streets.) The present building, the result of two additions, is nearly three times the size of the 1957 building.
When the Bayport and Blue Point school districts joined forces in 1952, the library became the Bayport-Blue Point Public Library. Until 1970, the library was staffed entirely by volunteers, one of the last all-volunteer libraries in the state.
Bayport-Bluepoint Public Library is a member of the Long Island Library Resources Council.