Remsen Central School District was created in 1931 by consolidating several of the one room schoolhouses located in Steuben, Remsen, Trenton, Forestport and Boonville. In 1935 nine of the closest small districts were closed and those students began attending the new Remsen CSD school. At that time there were 13 faculty members teaching in the new building. The first floor of the new building held a classroom for each of the lower grades. The second floor had classrooms for 7 -12 grade students. The first year’s enrollment was approximately 250 students in grades 1-12. Along with his duties as the first principal of the new district, Stanley A. Wallace also taught classes in geography and science to the high school students. In 1935, small schoolhouses were still operating in the area: Remsen had 3, there were 5 in Steuben and 1 in Trenton.
As the district grew to include all the small schoolhouses and new residents moved to the area, another school was built in 1980 to accommodate the growing enrollment in the district. At that time, there were 620 students in the district. The primary grades were moved into the new building up the hill. Later, additional wings were added to each of the buildings to accommodate future growth in enrollment and opportunity for our students.
Scope of Collection
This collection contains 79 yearbooks from Remsen Central School and covers most of the years 1938-2021.