Onondaga Parks Association
Onondaga Park was purchased by the City of Syracuse on July 27th, 1898. Prominent landscape architect George Kessler designed portions of the park. Located south of downtown Syracuse, teh park consists of a lower portion and upper portion which are connected via a parkway. The Upper Onondaga Park is home to Hiawatha Lake, a manmade lake which was once used as a community swimming pool. Notable park features include: a stone bridge, a gazebo, fountains, grottos, and a neoclassical greenhouse. The Onondaga Parks are popular for sports and recreation in the community.
Scope of Collection
The collection consists of postcards depicting Onondaga Park and its features in the early to mid-20th century. A limited number are black-and-white photographic postcards, but most are color illustrations. Many postcards were mailed and have handwritten messages on the back.