Historic Postcards of East Rockaway, N.Y.

Cover Image:
Historic Postcards of East Rockaway, N.Y.
Baptismal, East Rockaway, N.Y. - Image Source

Collection Facts

Dates of Original:

Historical Context

East Rockaway, an early community on the south shore of Long Island, first appeared as Neare Rockaway in 1665. The Town of Hempstead, at a town meeting held December 28, 1688, granted Joseph Haviland the right to construct a grist mill within one year. If said mill shall be ‘uncapable’ to grind in one year, then ‘streame and Land is to reterne to ye towne againe.’ The Haviland Grist Mill was built in 1689 and became the center of the social, economic and political life of the area. East Rockaway prospered as a seaport with packet boats carrying oyster and farm produce to New York City and lumber and grain farther north. It also developed an early but short lived trans-Atlantic trade. East Rockaway had several churches, schools and an early post office and library.

Near Rockaway at one time included East Rockaway, Lynbrook and Oceanside but that changed when East Rockaway was incorporated in 1900 by village fathers who maintained an anathema to taxation and who controlled all aspects of the village from the fire department, grain and shipping industries, religion and education.

Scope of Collection

This collection consists of postcards that depict the village of East Rockaway, N.Y. with its main streets, businesses, schools, churches, municipal buildings, homes, maritime activities and village life. Most of the postcards are in black and white and date from the early part of the twentieth century.