Highland Hospital, 1889-1940
In Highland Hospital 1889-1940, turn of the century photographs and postcards reflect the sense of the Rochester community and the advancement of healthcare in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Highland Hospital first opened in 1889 as Hahnemann Hospital, one of the first homeopathic hospitals in the United States. The Hospital officially became known as Highland Hospital in 1921. The hospital has continued to grow to meet the needs of the Rochester community and offer state-of-the-art medical care.
Scope of Collection
The collection consists primarily of black and white photographs depicting the hospital and its staff and nursing students during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. There are also photographic postcards of the Hospital.