Half Hollow Hills Library History
The Half Hollow Hills Library is located in Melville, NY. In 1958, the Sunquam-Melville Parent Teachers Association provided the original spark for a library in the Half Hollow Hills area with a donation of $200 towards a library fund. A library committee was formed and began its work by looking for a location for the library. The Board of Education of the Half Hollow Hills School District granted permission for the use of a large room in the basement of the "old Melville School" on Sweet Hollow Road. The original volunteers recruited 30 local Boys Scouts. Together, the Boy Scouts and twenty-five adult library enthusiasts conducted a house-to-house canvas for books. Members of the community built the book shelves and decorated the new library.
Scope of Collection
The collection consists of board meeting minutes, letters, and photographs of events documenting the operations of the Half Hollow Hills Library in Melville, NY.