The D'Youville College Architecture, Buildings, & Grounds collection documents how the college campus has changed over the last 100 years. D'Youville experienced a flurry of expansion in the 1950s and 1960s, and many of the buildings harken to the mid-century style. Images include architectural renderings, existing and demolished buildings, proposed buildings, interiors, and broader views of the College's West Side neighborhood.
D'Youville College is an independent Catholic college located in Buffalo, NY. Founded by the Grey Nuns in 1908 and named for their patron Saint Marie-Marguerite d'Youville, D'Youville was the first college in Western New York to offer baccalaureate degree programs for women. D'Youville offers undergraduate, graduate, and professional degree programs in allied health professions, education, business, and liberal arts.
The D'Youville College Archives was established on February 1, 1967, by Sister St. Mary Jones at the request of the College President Sister Francis Xavier Lynch. Since that time, the College Archives has collected and preserved college records, photographs, histories of the Grey Nuns, and rare books.
Scope of Collection
The collection consists of architectural drawings of the campus buildings, as well as photographs of the construction process and completed buildings. The bulk of the collection dates to the late 1950s through 1960s.