Donald S. Childs MD Papers
Donald Smythe Childs (1888-1960) was one of the earliest radiologists in New York State and graduated from the Syracuse University College of Medicine in 1909. He interned at St. Joseph’s Hospital from 1908 to 1910 before becoming a physician at Waterloo in 1910. In 1914, he returned to SU to become a Professor of Radiology, a position he held until 1948. In addition, he was an Instructor and subsequently a Professor of Osteology at SU for 28 years. During World War I, he served in the Medical Corps as a Captain from 1917 to 1919. In 1915, he married Amy Murray Edwards, with whom he had two sons: Donald S. Childs Jr., who also became a renowned radiologist, and Eleaser Edwards Childs. He assisted with radiology at many local institutions, including St. Mary's Maternity Hospital, Marcy State Hospital, the Syracuse Free Dispensary, the Syracuse Psychopathic Hospital, St. Joseph's Hospital, Elmcrest Children’s Center, and the House of Providence. He was the secretary-treasurer of the Radiological Society of North America from 1931 until his death and the business manager of its scientific journal, Radiology. Among his many public service positions, he was most notably a Trustee of the American Board of Radiology from 1940 until 1958, Chancellor of the American College of Radiology beginning in 1949, chairman of the Section of Radiology of the American Medical Association in 1956 to 1957, President of the Syracuse Academy of Medicine, and President of the American Board of Radiology, which was the official examining and certifying body for his medical specialty. Dr. Childs was a member of the American Roentgen Ray Society, Century Club Syracuse, and Innominate Club Syracuse and a Fellow of the American College of Radiology. He was awarded the Gold Medal Award of the Radiological Society of North America in 1949 and died in 1960 at the age of 72.
Scope of Collection
This collection contains two student notebooks from Donald S. Childs, who graduated from the Syracuse University College of Medicine in 1909 and was a radiologist.