The last great rebuilding of the Erie Canal was launched in the midst of the Great Depression with backing from the Federal government. Known as the 1935 Improvement, it rebuilt locks, bridges and channel between Waterford and Oswego. While work was immediately undertaken, the Improvement was not completed until the early 1960s. It changed much of the infrastructure of the system, creating greater navigable depth and higher clearances. As part of the planning for the Improvement, an aerial survey of the Barge Canal was conducted between those two points. At the time, these orthorectified stereo images represented state-of-the-art documentation. Scales between prints were the same. The overlapping imagery allowed for stereo. They are the earliest systematic aerial imagery of the Barge Canal. While some sections of the state were so covered as early as 1927 (Buffalo), the first state-wide survey was not accomplished until 1936/38. The 1935 survey of the Barge Canal is centered on the channel and presents unmatched clarity and resolution for the time. As a work of the state, the imagery is in the public domain.