Yates County History Center
Penn Yan, NY 14527
Standing proudly on Main Street in Penn Yan is the anchor building of the Yates County History Center, the Oliver House Museum, one of three buildings comprising the YCHC. The Center, formerly Yates County Genealogical & Historical Society, is one of the oldest in NYS, has been actively collecting, preserving and interpreting history since 1860. Its collections of over 50,000 artifacts date from the mid 1700s and include magnificent costumes, an impressive 6,000 digital images, and the foremost collection of Jemima Wilkinson artifacts in the United States.
Yates County History Center is a member of the South Central Regional Library Council.
The fifteen scrapbooks are filled with mostly newspaper clippings from Penn Yan, NY newspapers from the very early 1900s through the 1950s. The books were created contemporaneously by attorney George S. Sheppard and his son Oliver.
Local history images from pop-up digitization events.