Mechanicville District Public Library
Mechanicville, New York 12118
The forerunner of the Mechanicville District Public Library was the L.B. Blakeman Library, begun in 1895 by Principal L.B. Blakeman with the help of his teachers. The library was housed in a school basement and, for many years, had a dual role serving both student and adults.
In the early 1960’s plans for a new high school made no allowances for public library services and, in 1965, a group of citizens started work toward the development of a separate public library. Their dreams came true in 1966, when voters of the school district approved a referendum establishing the Mechanicville District Public Library. The new library opened in 1967 in what were planned as temporary quarters. For years, mighty efforts were made toward construction of a new building. In July, 1995, voters passed a referendum approving the necessary funds to construct a new library at 190 North Main Street.
Mechanicville District Public Library is a member of the Capital District Library Council.