Erwin Library and Institute
Boonville, New York 13309
Phone: (315) 942-4834
Erwin Library and Institute was incorporated on June 8, 1885 as Erwin Library and Insitute. According to its Articles of Incorporation: "The object of the society is the establishment and maintenance of a public library and literary institute, particularly to receive and care for funds given by the late Cornelius B. Erwin."
Cornelius B. Erwin was born in Boonville and at the age of 21, he left for New Britain, CT with just five dollars in his pocket. When he died in 1885, his estate was worth 1.1 million dollars. In 1839 he was a co-founder of the Russell & Erwin Manufacturing Company which is best known as the pioneer of the steel lock industry. Upon his death, he bequeathed his estate to numerous institutions including the Village of Boonville to establish a public library. On September 7, 1891, the building was opened to the public as a reading room.
A Board of Directors was formed in 1885 to oversee the operation and finances of the organization. To this day, the Board of Directors consist of dedicated community members who volunteer their time to ensure that the library continues the mission established in 1885.
Erwin Library and Institute is a member of the Central New York Library Resources Council.