Daniel Lamont Correspondence
Daniel Scott Lamont (February 9, 1851 – July 23, 1905) was the United States Secretary of War during Grover Cleveland's second term. Lamont was born on his family’s farm in McGrawville, New York, to son of John B. Lamont and Elizabeth (née Scott) Lamont. He attended from Union College at Schenectady, New York. He was employed as engrossing clerk and assistant journal clerk in the state capitol at Albany, New York, was a clerk on the staff of the Democratic state central committee in 1872, and was chief clerk of the New York department of state from 1875 to 1882. In 1883, through his mentor Daniel Manning, Lamont was assigned to then-New York Governor Grover Cleveland's staff as a political prompter. He became private and military secretary with the honorary rank of colonel on the governor’s staff the same year, and continued in his service after Cleveland became president in 1885. Lamont also held employment with William C. Whitney in his business ventures in 1889. From March 5, 1893 to March 5, 1897, Lamont served as United States Secretary of War in President Cleveland's cabinet. Throughout his tenure, he urged the adoption of a three-battalion infantry regiment as a part of a general modernization and strengthening of the Army. Furthermore, Lamont recommended the construction of a central hall of records to house Army archives, and urged that Congress authorize the marking of important battlefields in the manner adopted for Antietam. He also recommended that lands being used by Apache prisoners at Fort Sill be acquired for their permanent use and their prisoner status be terminated. After his service as Secretary of War, Lamont was vice president of the Northern Pacific Railway Company from 1898 to 1904. He was also a director of numerous banks and corporations. Lamont died in Millbrook, New York, on July 23, 1905, at aged 54. He was buried in Woodlawn Cemetery, in The Bronx, New York City. Daniel S. Lamont was married to Juliette Kinney, daughter of Orson Kinney of McGraw. Daniel and Juliette had four daughters, one of whom was Miss Elizabeth Lamont, who in later years with her Mother conceived the idea of converting the old homestead into a public library. In 1906 Mrs. Lamont purchased 1,000 books and on February 22, 1907 opened the front portion of her home as a library. On August 21, 1945, Miss Elizabeth Lamont deeded the building and grounds to the Village, and it is still being used in that manner.
Scope of Collection
A collection of family photographs and correspondence, directed to or written by Daniel S. Lamont. Also incuded are additional photographs, clippings, and publications related to Lamont and his family.