20th Century Remains of the Genesee Valley Canal
The New York Legislature passed an act to construct the Genesee Valley Canal in 1836. Portions of the Canal opened as early as 1840; the entire line was opened in 1862. It ran from the Erie Canal near Rochester to Mt. Morris and Olean which connected the Canal to the Allegheny River. The Canal was sold to the Genesee Valley Canal Railroad, part of the Pennsylvania Railroad, in 1880 and much of the canal system was converted into railways. The Railroad went out of service in the 1960s and the area has been transformed into the Genesee Valley Greenway State Park.
Scope of Collection
This collection includes color photographs depicting the remains of the Genesee Valley Canal in the mid-to-late 20th century. Views include: locks, culverts, feeder dams and gates, masonry work, and historical marker signs.