81 Huguenot Street
New Paltz, NY 12561 Phone: 845-255-1660
A National Historic Landmark District, Historic Huguenot Street encompasses 30 buildings across 10 acres that was the heart of the original settlement, including seven stone houses that date to the early eighteenth century. It was originally founded in 1894 by the descendants of the first settlers as the Huguenot Patriotic, Historical, and Monumental Society to preserve what remained of their French and Dutch heritage. Since then, Historic Huguenot Street has grown into an innovative museum, chartered as an educational corporation by the University of the State of New York, that is dedicated to protecting our historic buildings, conserving an important collection of artifacts and manuscripts, and promoting the stories of the Huguenot Street families, from the sixteenth century to today.
Historic Huguenot Street is fortunate to have an excellent archival collection, thanks to the forward-thinking nature of generations before us and the generosity of descendants and others interested in history. Our Archives, like our Library, focus on the history and genealogy of the settlers of the Hudson Valley — people from the low countries of Europe including French-speaking and Dutch families.
Historic Huguenot Street is a member of the Southeastern New York Library Resources Council.