WKBW-TV Television News Film and Video Archives
Scope of Collection
This collection consists of four videos highlighting the different aspects of news coverage by WKBW-TV over the last 60 years.
The first video highlights the beginnings of WKBW. WKBW-TV began as an extension of the popular WKBW radio 1520AM, now WWKB. The station began under the direction and ownership of the late Dr. Clinton H. Churchill. In fact, the original building used to be a tabernacle, which is key to what WKBW stands for: "Well Known Bible Witness." WKBW-TV signed on and continues as one of the top ABC affiliates in the country.
On November 30, 1958, at: 1420 Main Street in Buffalo, New York - the original home of WKBW-TV, Rick Azar signed the station on with the words, "Ladies and Gentlemen, WKBW-TV Channel 7 is on-the-air!"
The second video highlights the contributions that women have made to the success of the station. The third video highlights the varied and colorful sports scene in Buffalo over those same years. Lastly is a video that puts the spotlight on the people of Western New York who make this area a wonderful and interesting place.