Town of Olive One-Room Schoolhouses
One room schoolhouses provided education for students in the Olive area from 1817 until May 1948, when the schools consolidated and became Onteora Central School Districct. At its height in 1875, Olive had 15 district schools with 1090 students attending. Among these schools was the Tongore school, where the naturalist John Burroughs taught. The original 1817 schoolhouse has been moved and reconstructed at the Ashokan Campus, where it can be seen today. The Libraries collection of this material includes administrative and financial records, correspondence, attendance records, student created materials, photographs, teaching materials, and yearbooks that may not currently be digitized.
Scope of Collection
When completed, the collection will include a sample of administrative and financial records, correspondence, attendance records, student created materials, and photographs.
This project is partially supported with federal American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funds allocated to the New York State Library by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS; imls.gov) and administered by Southeastern NY Library Resources Council.