Temple Messenger

Collection Owner:
Cover Image:
The Messenger
The Messenger

Collection Facts


Historical Context

The "Temple Messenger", also published as "The Messenger", was the official newsletter of Congregation B’nai Israel.  Congregation B'nai Israel was formed around 1915 with 50 Jewish members from Freeport and vicinity. Around June 1920, ground was broken for a synagogue located on Broadway and Mount Avenue. The congregation remained at this location until 1965 when a new synagogue was dedicated on North Bayview Avenue. The congregation’s newsletter includes birth, death, and marriage announcements, social notes, bar mitzvah personalities, and advertisements of local businesses.

Scope of Collection

This collection includes over 100 issues of "The Temple Messenger" and "The Messenger" for the years 1939 to 1964.