- Long Island New York. Sports & Recreation Long Island. Sport Fishing. Saltwater Fishing. Fishers.
- New York (State) - Babylon. Sports & Recreation. Parks New York (State) Suffolk County. New York (State) Belmont Lake State Park.
- New York (State) - Babylon. Sports & Recreation. Motorboats. Boats And Boating.
- New York (State) - Bayshore. Penatiquit Corinthian Yacht Club (Bayshore, N.Y.) Yachts And Yachting Social Aspects. Sports & Recreation Equestrian. Yachting New York (State) Great South Bay. Sports & Recreation Long Island. Sailing.
- Water Skiing. Water Sports. Long Island New York. Sports & Recreation Long Island.
The objects in the South Shore Recreation collection were assembled to document the rise of Long Island's South Shore as a tourist destination during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The collection, deeded by Dowling College, includes photographs and postcards documenting various recreational activities people participated in on the South Shore of Long Island. Examples of these activities include: hunting, fishing, swimming, bicycling, theatre going, motor-boating, sailing, ice-boating, and attending races.
Scope of Collection
The South Shore Recreation collection consists of the late nineteenth and early twentieth century materials documenting a wide variety of activities that make up Long Island’s South Shore tourism history.
Funding for digitizing this project provided by the Long Island Library Resources Council.