The Plainview Library opened its doors on January 7, 1956 in the Jamaica Avenue School. In 1957, the Library relocated to rented space in the Morton Village Shopping Center. It remained in the Morton Village Shopping Center until the current building opened in 1963. In March of 1966, the library's charter was amended and its named changed to the Plainview-Old Bethpage Public Library to accurately reflect the one school district and two communities the Library serves.
Scope of Collection
The collection consists of photographs of residential, commercial, and industrial buildings, schools, places of worship, the library, and various other subjects in Plainview, NY in the 20th Century.