Oswego Buildings Photo Collection
Oswego is a port city on Lake Ontario in Upstate New York. The region has deep ties to the Iroquois and is named after an Iroquoian word which means a “pouring out place” referring to its location at a river mouth of Oswego River. The area was established as a trading post by the British in the early 18th century, and occupied by the British at Fort Ontario through 1796. Oswego County was formally incorporated in 1816; the City of Oswego was incorporated in 1848. Oswego was a main hub for transportation not only as a port-city, but also through canals and railways. Because of easy transportation by water and energy though waterpower, industry thrived in the mid to late 1800’s. The population in the last 100 years has varied between 18,000 and 25,000 people.
Scope of Collection
Over the years, photos of buildings around Oswego County have been added to the Oswego County Historical Society's collections. This collection is an expansive group of photos organized by category, ranging from photos of Commercial businesses and Residential buildings to the Harbor and Cemeteries.
Browse within this collection
Oswego County Historical Society