Historic Postcards of Roslyn
Roslyn is an incorporated village in Nassau County, New York situated at the head of Hempstead Harbor on the north shore of Long Island. The Greater Roslyn area includes the incorporated villages of Roslyn Harbor, Roslyn Estates, East Hills, and Flower Hill as well as the unincorporated areas of Roslyn Heights and Greenvale. Settled in 1643, the community was known as Hempstead Harbor until 1844, when the name was changed to Roslyn to avoid postal confusion with all the other communities on Long Island with "Hempstead" in their name. The Bryant Library, named for William Cullen Bryant, serves the Roslyn community and is the oldest continuing library in Nassau County.
Scope of Collection
The collection consists of over 300 historic postcards of Roslyn depicting its inhabitants, businesses, places of worship, various buildings, and natural features. The bulk of the postcards are black and white with some being hand colored, the collection dates from the early 20th Century.