Historic Hempstead

The historic Town of Hempstead received its patent in November of 1644 from the Dutch Director General William Kieft, that granted the settlers rights and title [Kieft Patent]. The Hempstead Public Library collection contains digitized pictures of the Blizzard of 1888, historic parades, the Circus coming to town, many historic streets and buildings as well as pictures of Mr. and Mrs. August Belmont. There are pictures from the Fire Department, the Boy Scouts, and other organizations within the town.

Collection owner: Hempstead Public Library