Construction began on the Erie Canal in 1817 and it officially opened in 1825. The canal ran about 360 miles and spanned across most of New York State. The Village of Fort Plain was established in 1831, and the Erie Canal helped enhance the manufacturing businesses of the village, especially the textile mills.
Scope of Collection
This collections contains images of the Erie Canal in the Fort Plain area. They illustrate how crucial the Canal was in the history of the village of Fort Plain.