Students, teachers and other educators are a primary audience of New York Heritage. New York Heritage offers access to thousands of unique primary source materials that can enhance any lesson in the history of New York State and inherently support the New York State K-12 Social Studies Framework and an inquiry-based approach to learning.
Resources for Inquiry-Based Learning:
What the Heck is Inquiry-Based Learning? (Edutopia)
Teaching for Learning: Inquiry Learning (New York State Education Department)
New York State K-12 Social Studies Resource Toolkit (with K-12 Inquiry Topics and Key Ideas)
To make it easier to incorporate New York Heritage materials into your curriculum, we offer a variety of lesson plans and activity ideas:
- Civilian Conservation Corps at Green Lakes State Park Visual display, Handout
- Family Photos Elementary, Comparisons
- Onondaga Nation Culture Native Americans, Presentation
- Solar Salt Science Activity, Industry
- What do you mean: How language changes over time Language, Literacy, Discussion
- What we need and what we want: Then and Now Pioneers, Visual Timeline, Reading, Searching
Other Digital Resources:
You may also find these other digital resources helpful.
- New York State Historic Newspapers
- Library of Congress Primary Source Sets
- Digital Public Library of America Primary Source Sets
- History Unbound : New York State resource collections by time period and subject, as well as educator resources including resources aligned to the Framework by grade level, lesson plans, and graphic organizers.
- New York State Archives' Digital Collections : The New York State Archives' Digital Collections provides access to photographs, textual records, artifacts, government documents, manuscripts, and other materials. Most items come from the holdings of the New York State Archives, but this collection also includes material from the New York State Museum, State Library, and project partners across New York State.
- Cornell University Library Digital Collections
- New York Public Library Digital Collections
- Winning the Vote : A resource on Western New York suffragists.
- The Missing Chapter: Untold Stories of the African American Presence in the Hudson Valley
- Native Knowledge 360° Lessons & Resources : Explore featured educational resources from the National Museum of the American Indian, including The Haudenosaunee Guide for Educators.