Collection Facts

Extent: 
1011 items
Dates of Original: 
1844 - 1996
NYH Topic Area(s):

Historical Context

Colton was established by an act of the legislature on April 12, 1843, and became the 27th town of St. Lawrence County on February 1, 1844. The hamlet was originally named "Matildaville" and the town "Springfield," but was later changed to Colton at the request of one of the town's pioneers, Jesse Colton Higley, honoring his mother's family name. It is located along the banks of the Raquette River.

Scope of Collection

This collection consists of photographs and postcards for the town of Colton and the surrounding area, ranging in age from 1844 to 1996. Subjects include municipal buildings, churches, schools, inns and hotels, logging operations, hydroelectric dams, homes, libraries, and the Raquette River and carry falls. There are also many photographs of local residents from throughout this time period, including numerous group photographs of the classes at Union Free School. Additionally, there are many images of the construction of the Carry Falls Dam.