Scope and Content Source:
The physical collection is located in the Clifton Park-Halfmoon Public Library’s Local History Room and also includes account books, scrapbooks, letters, diaries, wills, and deeds. The library continues to receive materials which are processed and added to the collection, and items from the physical collection will be periodically digitized and made accessible through New York Heritage.
Construction of the Erie Canal began in 1817 and officially opened in the fall of 1825. The canal aided in more western expansion, increased trade throughout New York State, and increased agricultural and industrial production for the areas it ran through. The canal ran about 360 miles through all areas of New York, including New York City, Buffalo, and Albany. Today, the Erie Canal is a historic landmark for New York State.