The Half Hollow Hills Library is located in Melville, NY. In 1958, the Sunquam-Melville Parent Teachers Association provided the original spark for a library in the Half Hollow Hills area with a donation of $200 towards a library fund. A library committee was formed and began its work by looking for a location for the library. The Board of Education of the Half Hollow Hills School District granted permission for the use of a large room in the basement of the "old Melville School" on Sweet Hollow Road. The original volunteers recruited 30 local Boys Scouts. Together, the Boy Scouts and twenty-five adult library enthusiasts conducted a house-to-house canvas for books. Members of the community built the book shelves and decorated the new library.