The Plainview Library opened its doors on January 7, 1956 in the Jamaica Avenue School. In 1957, the Library relocated to rented space in the Morton Village Shopping Center. It remained in the Morton Village Shopping Center until the current building opened in 1963. In March of 1966, the library's charter was amended and its named changed to the Plainview-Old Bethpage Public Library to accurately reflect the one school district and two communities the Library serves.
In 2005, the Library celebrated a building expansion which included a 236 seat auditorium and an expanded Family Center. With technological advances changing how we do almost everything, the Library continues to be the place to learn and to access information. Public computers, free WIFI, basic computer classes, CD's and DVD's, audiobooks, playaways, eBooks and eBook readers allow our community to keep up with new technology.
Plainview Old Bethpage Public Library is a member of the Long Island Library Resources Council.