Old Courthouse, First Floor
123 Grand Street
Newburgh, NY 12550

Contact: Mary McTamaney - (845) 569-8090 -


The Newburgh Heritage Collection brings together views and descriptions of this city founded in 1709 and chronicled through three centuries. Images were captured by civil servants and by involved citizens who aimed to leave a legacy for future generations. Newburgh tightly filled a four-square-mile hillside overlooking the Hudson River with a streetscape that reflected each architectural era in the American stylebook until it embarked on a massive urban renewal program in the 1960s that demolished over 1,300 buildings. Photographs and descriptions of early Newburgh reveal a robust industrial community that went through the changes emblematic of American small cities.

Newburgh Heritage Collection is a member of the Southeastern New York Library Resources Council.