In 1958, the Sunquam-Melville Parent Teachers Association provided the original spark for a library in the Half Hollow Hills area with a donation of $200 towards a library fund. A library committee was formed and began its work by looking for a location for the library. The Board of Education of the Half Hollow Hills School District granted permission for the use of a large room in the basement of the "old Melville School" on Sweet Hollow Road. The original volunteers recruited 30 local Boys Scouts. Together, the Boy Scouts and twenty-five adult library enthusiasts conducted a house-to-house canvas for books. Members of the community built the book shelves and decorated the new library.
The Half Hollow Hills Community Library was opened in April of 1959 with 5,000 donated books and a $12,000 budget. Tax support for the library was approved in 1960 and a provisional charter was granted later that year. In June, 1964, the New York State Board of Regents granted a permanent charter to the Half Hollow Hills Community Library.
As the library grew, the need for additional facilities became apparent. On November 18, 1964, a public information meeting was held to discuss a proposal for a new public library building in the district across from the high school on Vanderbilt Parkway. The site was chosen so that the library would be the focal point of the educational and social activities for the community. The new Dix Hills building opened on July 30, 1967.
In the mid-1980’s it was apparent that the library had to grow to keep pace with the demands of the community for high quality service. On March 3, 1987, an expansion bond for approximately $5 million was passed by a 2-to-1 margin. In 1990, gala dedication ceremonies were held to officially open the expanded library facilities.
The Library opened the first of its digital services in 1996.
Half Hollow Hills Community Library is a member of the Long Island Library Resources Council.