The efforts of early “Friends” in publicizing the need for a public library in East Meadow resulted in a public referendum, and on May 1954 the residents of the Union Free School District No.3, Town of Hempstead, voted to establish a public library, with an initial budget of $50,000. First Director was Thomas E. Dutelle, a graduate of Columbia University School of Library Service, who served as Director from 1955 until his death in 1974.
In early 1955 a store, at 2306 Hempstead Turnpike, in what is now the Meadowbrook Shopping Center, was rented, an architect hired, and a building opened in 1955.
In 1959, thirty-one libraries in Nassau County decided to form a coopera¬tive association, to be known as the Nassau Library System. The System received its charter from the New York State Board of Regents that same year. The System designated two of the member libraries as central libraries, and in 1960 the East Meadow Public Library, with the Levittown Public Library, became a co-central library for Nassau County.
In 1983 after several attempts to pass a bond issue to expand the library, voters approve a bond issue of $1,500,000 to expand library building.
Trustees decide not to accept offer to move library to empty junior high school building on Newbridge Road.
In 1986 the library dedicated the newly remodeled and expanded building.
East Meadow Public Library is a member of the Long Island Library Resources Council.