The Buffalo History Museum, founded in 1862, is located in the northwest corner of Delaware Park. Major collections among the 80,000-plus items in our care include Pan-American Exposition artifacts and records, the Red Jacket Peace Medal, the Pierce Motorette (a pioneering motor vehicle), and prototype pacemakers. Sketches and paintings chronicle two centuries of growth of the city of Buffalo and surrounding land, and portraiture ranges from Peter Porter, one time Secretary of War, to Presidents Grover Cleveland and Millard Fillmore.
The Buffalo History Museum is a private not-for-profit organization tax-exempt under Sec. 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. We receive operating support from the County of Erie, the City of Buffalo, New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo and the New York State Legislature, and from donors, members and friends. The Buffalo History Museum is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums.
Buffalo History Museum is a member of the Western New York Library Resources Council.