Browse collection by subject:
Scope and Content Source:
The Terrence J. Hoverter College Archives at SUNY ESF houses over 12,000 photographs and corresponding negatives from the Roosevelt Wild Life Station.
The Roosevelt Wild Life Station was established by an act of the New York State Legislature in 1919 to memorialize Theodore Roosevelt as a wildlife conservationist. The Station was established at the College of Forestry at Syracuse University (now SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry) through the efforts of Dr. Charles C. Adams, who was a professor of forest zoology at the College and went on to become Director of the New York State Museum in Albany. The scientific information gleaned from the RWLS helped wild animals become recognized as a natural resource in need of management. The RWLS was one of the earliest institutions of its kind, documenting the local ecosystems and its inhabitants. It is still in use today, focusing on the changing environment and its impact on the wildlife of the Northeastern United States.