Collection Facts

Extent: 
120 items
Collection Owner:

Scope of Collection

Senator Willian H. Reynolds acquired the 1084 acres of marsh and meadows from Town of Hempstead on April 2, 1907, which was voted upon by the people. The barren marsh would be transformed into the land that Long Beach is today. The City of Long Beach became official in 1922. The photographs in this collection depicts the very beginnings of Long Beach and tells the story of the many projects like the dredging of Reynolds Channel, the building of our amazing boardwalk and the grand hotels that brought the rich & famous to our shores for the cool breezes and night life and of days gone by.