Clarkson Miscellaneous Collection
Named for Northern New York entrepreneur Thomas S. Clarkson, Clarkson University was founded in 1896 in Potsdam, New York, first as the Thomas S. Clarkson school of Technology, then becoming the Thomas S. Clarkson Memorial College of technology, then Clarkson University in 1984. In its early days, the school’s focus was on teaching technical skills such as electrical engineering, wood-working, applied chemistry, and machining. The college also had music groups and a photography club.
Scope of Collection
This collection consists of pamphlets, newspaper clippings, and other published materials that pertain to the history of Clarkson University. Included are issues of the Clarkson College of Technology Bulletin, as well as a promotional pamphlet titled Girls at Clarkson. Also included is information relating to the history of the Clarkson family, including a family tree.