Specific copyright requirements for each entry are included with the descriptive material that accompanies each image.
General Copyright Statement and Conditions of Use
The contents of this item is made publicly available by the archives, libraries, and museums for use in research, teaching, and private study. For these purposes, you may reproduce a single copy (print or download) of materials from this website without prior permission. Please use the following credit line: "[Title and date of image], courtesy [name of contributing repository], obtained from nyheritage.org."
All items may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). Usage of some items may also be subject to additional restrictions imposed by the copyright owner and/or the owning institution. Thus transmission or reproduction of more than a single research or teaching copy of a protected item requires the permission of the copyright owner and/or the owning institution.
Please contact the owning institution for available information regarding copyright status of a particular digital item.
The nature of historical archival and manuscript collections often makes it difficult to determine the copyright status of an item. Whenever possible, New York Heritage and the owning institution provide available information about copyright owners and other restrictions in the catalog records, collection finding aids, and other metadata associated with digital items.
The owning institutions provide the aforementioned information as a service to aid users in determining the copyright status of an item. Ultimately, however, it is the user's responsibility to use an item according to the terms governing its use.
The owning institutions are eager to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified so that appropriate information may be provided to researchers and teachers in the future.
Conditions of Use
By their use of these digital items, users agree to follow these conditions of use:
- for purposes of research, teaching and private study, users may reproduce (print or download), in accordance with fair use, materials or link to materials from this website without prior permission, on the condition they give proper credit to the owning institution
- please use the following credit line: "[Title and date of image], courtesy [name of contributing repository], obtained from nyheritage.org."
- materials may not be used for any commercial purpose without prior written permission from the copyright owner and owning institution
- materials may not be re-published in print or electronic form without prior written permission from the copyright owner and owning institution
- materials may not be mounted on an additional server for public use, or for use by a set of subscribers without prior written permission from the copyright owner and owning institution